Looking for Me?

Wondering where I am? I've moved! Check out the new blog Waterfalling Up for more updates from our family!

Monday, March 22, 2010

Going Green with Seed

Everyone,

With last week being St. Patrick's Day and all the spring green coming out in the plants, I've been thinking about what I'm doing to be green as well. I think being green is not just using less energy (although we've been trying to do that too...just got our power bill, yikes!) I think it means using a lot less chemicals in our lives.

One of the main ways I've tried to cut back on chemicals is how I wash my face. I'd say over a year ago, I had had enough of the endless stream of horrible break outs. My skin has been bad since I was a teenager. Honestly the only time I've ever felt like I had clear skin was when I was pregnant.

So I started to do a lot of research. I'd done the prescription med thing in the past. It worked, but I really didn't like it. I've tried over the counter stuff (almost all of it) plus mail order stuff. It worked for awhile. I hated how they made my skin feel though.

A blog I read talked about using oil to clean her face. What?! I spent about 3 months researching it out, and started doing it. I figured I had nothing to loose. And after about 2 months of the worst break outs I've ever had (called the detox period) I've had smooth soft skin ever since. What do I do? About once a week I take 20 minutes and give myself a facial with a mixture of oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil, and sunflower seed oil. I rub it in, steam my face, and wipe it off. I only use water to wash daily now, and I use sunflower seed oil to moisturize. It's been an amazing change in my skin!

One thing I wanted to try was doing something similar with my hair. I never could bring myself to do it though. It's one thing to mess with your skin, it's a whole other thing to mess with your hair. I could never go shampoo free but I'd like to.

Instead, I'm trying this: SEED Power. I like the fact that it has grapeseed oil in it, the same stuff I use for my face. I like that it isn't in a bottle. One less thing that I have to recycle. It lathers well. And although I've only been using it for a few days, my hair seems a tiny bit shinier.

I'm feeling greener already!

Safire

PS- This was written in hopes of getting a sponsorship to BlogHer '10 through Hip As I Wanna Be and SEED. They didn't give me anything to try...I gave it to myself.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:05 PM

    Interesting! I have adult acne as well. If you only use water to wash daily, then how do you remove makeup?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long does the shampoo bar last? It's pretty inexpensive and sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow- you're brave! I have the WORST breakouts when I'm pregnant! I don't think I could bring myself to scrubbing my face with oils though. But then you have beautiful skin so I guess I'd have to trust you on this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see it (and smell it!) Good luck on that sponsorship!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend has a blog all about going green. I don't remember a face wash, but I think she does her own laundry detergent like you do too right? If you want to check it out you might enjoy www.consciousshopper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble. --Helen Keller