Looking for Me?

Wondering where I am? I've moved! Check out the new blog Waterfalling Up for more updates from our family!

Friday, December 28, 2007

Hello Labor and Delivery


Sorry I haven't posted more but really, not quite sure what to say. I guess after the miscarriage, especially with how late the miscarriage was, I'm hesitant to say anything about the boys. I just don't want to loose them. And not talking about them is a way to keep them closer to me. Does that make sense? I'm not even sure if it does to me.

In any case, yesterday we had a bit of a scare. I had been having mild cramping for a few days. I just brushed it off as my uterus stretching and things moving around. And then, I had about 4 honest contractions. The kind that made me remember labor and think, "What did I get myself into?! How could I have forgotten this?!" I had these contractions one after the other on Wednesday night. I drank some water, went to bed, and felt fine. In the morning, I had another so I called my doctor. He sent me straight to the hospital.

I checked in, got all gowned up, and sat in labor and delivery triage for a few hours while they monitored my uterus. Both babies were great. Baby A doing his characteristic moving so they couldn't monitor his heartbeat. Baby B is mellow, but reacting to A's movements. But I was still having contractions. I was having 4 to 5 in an hour, which is not what they want to see. After they gave me 2 24 oz cups of ice water to drink, they did a fetal fibronectin test to see my risk of going into preterm labor in the next two weeks. That took 2 hours to come back, along with the loss of my blood in the lab and a redrawing to see if I had some kind of infection. The test came back negative, blood work came back normal, and the contractions had stopped. But my uterus is irritable and still acting up. Not contractions, just crabbiness.

I was sent home around 5:30, after spending 8 hours in a tiny bed listening to the other patients in triage and their issues. (Only 1 of the 5 ladies I shared a room with actually went to have her baby...never knew that triage had such a high send home rate.)

I was not sent home on bed rest, yet. Baby A is moving so so much that one of the nurses wondered if he was pushing an already crabby uterus to the edge. I also probably did not drink enough water through the holidays and that is not a good thing. So, I'm supposed to take it easy, drink 8 oz of water for every hour I'm awake, and call the doctor if I notice the contractions again. All things I can do. Except maybe the water. That's a lot of water!

Doctor follow up on Monday. Now I have to go lay down.



  1. So glad to hear all is okay with you and the boys. Other than that I hope you had a wonderful holiday and that you're able to take it easy at least a little throughout the day (even if that's difficult with your little one!). :-)

  2. I hope you and the boys are doing okay now. That's a lot of water to drink in one day!

  3. SCARY!! Rest up Cat!! Good luck on downing all that water!


I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble. --Helen Keller