Looking for Me?

Wondering where I am? I've moved! Check out the new blog Waterfalling Up for more updates from our family!

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Ack! Spider!!

Everyone,

Two nights ago, Baby Girl and I were sitting downstairs in the rocking chair trying to get her to go to sleep when I happen to glance over at our couch and see the BIGGEST spider I have ever seen in doors not at a zoo. And it was in MY house! Inches away from MY baby's face. I could see 8 black glowing eyes staring at me. I slowly eased myself out of the chair and when I was sure the thing wasn't going to follow or bolt...I ran upstairs and woke up Juice.

"Big spider! Really really big spider!"

"Huh?"

"Really really big spider!" I set Butterfly down in her Pack n' Play and followed Juice downstairs. I showed him where it was, and he did a double take. The spider moved to the back of the couch and Juice and I are walking on our toes we're so creeped out by this ginormous arachnid. Juice first tries to hit it with a rolled up magazine but the spider was too fast and darted behind our couch. Juice hit the couch, out it came, and down came the magazine again. The spider lived. Juice said that the spider oriented on him and would turn to face him as he moved. Ew!

Do you ever have those creepy crawly moments where random body parts itch? I couldn't stop scratching my ankles. I'm normally okay with bugs but this spider was bigger than my thumb. I'd say bigger than a quarter, even.

Juice, being the wonderfully smart engineer that I'm SO happy I married, got out our shop vac and proceeded to suck up the offending spider. He put the shop vac outside. No more spider. Yay!

This is the spider after it had been through our shop vac. Notice the size of it, even missing all of it's legs on one side.



Again, ew!!!

Until next time,
Safire, Juice, and Butterfly

3 comments:

  1. HOLY CRAP, CAT!

    I'd so be calling the Orkin Man to fumigate the crap out of my house.

    I hate hate hate spiders.

    My parents basement is like a Hobo spider refugee camp. I rarely go down there 'cause there's so freaking many of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH.MY.GEEEOOOWWD. I would have been a whimpering mess!!!! Little spiders---OK. Big spiders----RUN.FAST.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure what's creepier; that spider, or the fact you went searching through a shop vac for it to snap a picture of it!

    Yeah, not quite the size of a hobo, but isn't it freaky when they look at you like you're doing battle? And when they move fast enough to dodge you AND survive the initial attack . . . freaky stuff.

    ReplyDelete

I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble. --Helen Keller