Looking for Me?

Wondering where I am? I've moved! Check out the new blog Waterfalling Up for more updates from our family!

Thursday, September 14, 2006

One More Year

Everyone,

Yesterday was my birthday. It was a nice, quiet low key day. I've needed one of those for awhile. I took a nap all morning with Butterfly, went out to lunch with her and did a little shopping (the weather changed and she has no sleepers that fit her!). The shopping was nice. Butterfly was a really good girl and didn't cry at all. We played a little in the frog land they have in the center of our mall. (More about that later.) She even split a sticky bun with me...okay I ate 80% of it. Still, it was really nice just to hang out with her. I look forward to many more Mommy/Daughter outings in the future.

When Juice came home, we had cake before dinner, and then I ran to my church meeting. I am in charge of the 12-13 year old girls in my church now, and they have meetings every Wednesday nights. Last night was singing lessons. Pretty fun but I think I should have stayed home. One highlight of the evening was that the singing teacher had us stretch out before we sang and asked us to touch our toes. I DID!!! I'm so proud of myself for being able to touch my toes. I don't think I could do that when I was little. I guess all that time at the YMCA is paying off.

Thanks to all my family who kept me up until 10pm wishing me a happy birthday. :) (Love ya bro.)

It was a good day. And yes, this year I feel older. It's weird.

So, about frog land in our mall. I swear, Butterfly gets hurt every single time we go there. I don't know why I continue to subject her to torcher, other than it's an free indoor playground and super close to my house. With all this rain we're getting and the weather turning, I suspect I'll be using it more and more.

Anyway, yesterday's owie was purely an accident. Butterfly was running behind another little kid who decided mid-stride to change directions and go the other way. They smacked head on and both fell down. Crying ensued, and Butterfly wouldn't let me out of her sight the rest of the time. I think it was a flash back from what happened the other time we were there.

It's been about 3 weeks since this happened and I didn't blog about it before because I was so angry. We were at Frog Land with my mom's group, and Butterfly and I were walking behind another girl and her mom in our group. Things were going well. Frog Land was PACKED. Another mom and her child (I actually think that she was a nanny of some kind) walked passed going the other way. This little girl reached out and slapped Butterfly. Hard. I could see Slapping Girl's hand print on my sweet baby's face. Poor Butterfly was stunned (so was I) and then she started to cry. I wanted to cry to and turned on the Nanny. She was mortified. She told me she was sorry over and over again, but I told her this was not okay. Slapping Girl must have been 5 or 6, old enough to know better. Nanny turned to her, and started signing that she was angry and not to hit little kids, etc. Slapping Girl is deaf. But really that is no excuse for her reaching out to hit my child. I made Nanny aware of this and she explained that Slapping Girl is handicapped. It doesn't matter. If she can't be trusted to be around other kids, then she shouldn't be there at all. Especially if it means that MY child has to bear the brunt of her acting out. Not cool.

Until next time,
Safire

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! Our birthdays are exactly one week apart, although I'm pretty sure I'm significantly older than you!! :)

    I'm so jealous you teach the Beehives! I've been begging our Bishop to put me in YW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Birthday wishes, Cat!!!

    (and hugs to poor V.....)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate, very cool that our birthdays are just a week apart! And you're not THAT much older than me...only 2 years. :)

    Deanna, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble. --Helen Keller