Looking for Me?

Wondering where I am? I've moved! Check out the new blog Waterfalling Up for more updates from our family!

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

For Your Eating Pleasure


Everyone,

I've had several people ask me for the recipe I talked about last post. So here you go! I got it from my food "bible" or my absolute favorite cookbook, The One Armed Cook. (But the cover is red...I can't figure out why it keeps coming out at blue. Just know, the cover is red!) We eat out of this cookbook at least 2 times a week, sometimes more, sometimes less. We love the ease, the tastiness, the little tips that it's full of. I love it so much I've actually stocked my pantry with all of the staples she suggests so that I can just whip up something quick and easy. If you're looking for a great cookbook, this is it.

This recipe is for a flank steak, but I switched it to a London broil and added a few steps. Here is how I cooked it.

London Broil, adapted from Broiled Flank Steak from "The One Armed Cook"

1/2 cup soy sauce or tamari
1 teaspoon ground ginger (heaping because ginger is good!)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon bottled chopped garlic (I add an extra teaspoon or 3 because we love garlic)
1 tablespoon sesame oil (we have dark sesame oil...so flavorful!)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 London Broil, about 1 lb-2lbs

1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine all the ingredients except for the London broil, shaking well to mix.
2. Add the meat; turn to coat with marinade. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours, turning the bag occasionally. (If you're doing this with a flank steak, it needs to be marinated overnight. London broil is a little more tender and I put this together before church, cooked it when we got home and it was tender and juicy.)
3. When ready to prepare, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Snip a corner of the bag with scissors and drain the marinade into a small saucepan; set aside.
4. In a broiling pan, place the meat and bake for 10 minutes. Turn meat over, bake for another 10 minutes. Turn meat again, back for another 5 minutes until the meat is brown. (Omit this step for the flank steak.)
5. Turn off the oven, turn on the broiler to high and broil for 4 minutes on each side or to desired doneness, watching carefully for flare-ups. (The meat should be around 160 degrees. I actually turned the broiler down to low and did a few more flips just because I can.)
6. Remove pan from oven give it 5 minutes to rest. Slice meat diagonally against the grain. The middle should be pink.
7. Bring the marinade to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Serve with the steak.

You can double the recipe nicely for a bigger piece of meat. It says it serves 2, but it always is enough for us to eat it for 2 days. And it's really good the next day, or even cold. Let me know if anyone tries it.

Safire

PS- Day 2 with the blood glucose monitor. My levels have been hovering around 90 , which makes me wonder if me cutting out the cereal in my diet has really paid off because I really haven't changed much else. Wish I had known this fact before I failed the test...

4 comments:

  1. This looks great and I love good suggestions for easy meals. I've started planning my meals on Saturday morning for the week and then going to the store. Not the most ideal day to shop, but it is the best time for me to go.

    I find that by planning my meals for the week, I spend less at the store, I have the stuff I need and I'm less stressed about what we are going to have for dinner. I also have a few 'emergency' items around like jarred spaghetti sauce and frozen chicken nuggets for emergency meals if needed.

    Bummer on the gestational diabetes. Hang in there! I had to go back for the three hour test, but actually passed. I couldn't imagine trying to plan special meals with a toddler around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I'll definitely have to try it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I actually plan my meals for 2 weeks and go shopping every other Friday. I also have some emergency meals in my freezer, but now I realize I can't eat them...sigh. This thing is a major bummer.

    Laura, let me know if you try it. It's so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like a cookbook I need....guess I'll have to check it out ;)

    ReplyDelete

I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble. --Helen Keller