Looking for Me?

Wondering where I am? I've moved! Check out the new blog Waterfalling Up for more updates from our family!

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Professor's Whole Wheat Waffles

Everyone,

I know I promised this a long time ago. But now, here it is! I just made another big batch this morning (okay, Juice made them while I lounged on the couch and entertained Butterfly) and they make the house smell so good. Yum! I love these things. I think I am going to continue to make them for breakfasts after I have the twins. It's cheaper than cereal and probably better for us.

Professor's Whole Wheat Waffles

2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup cooking oil

Mix together until batter is slightly runny (adding water or more buttermilk as necessary). Make with a waffle iron and enjoy!

Like I said before, these freeze excellently, double beautifully, and are tasty with syrup or jam or even peanut butter. I think one batch makes about 10-12 waffles on my small waffle iron. That is, if you don't spill a bunch out of the sides like I always seem to do. The batter will separate if you leave it in the fridge overnight but it's an easy fix with a fork or a whisk for a few minutes.

Oh, and please note that it uses BOTH baking soda and baking powder. And don't get them mixed up either...yucky. Also, if you find you don't have buttermilk, you can add one tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to a cup of regular milk and let it sit for 10 minutes. If you don't have vinegar or lemon juice, a tablespoon of cream of tarter and a cup of milk will make it as well, although it won't be as tart. Regular milk does not do this recipe justice. It needs that buttermilk!

Enjoy!

Safire

No comments:

Post a Comment

I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble. --Helen Keller