Looking for Me?

Wondering where I am? I've moved! Check out the new blog Waterfalling Up for more updates from our family!

Sunday, February 08, 2009

Baby Food Woes

Everyone,

It's been awhile since I've talked about baby food and the boys. I think I used to talk about it all the time when Butterfly was little. I haven't said much about what the boys eat because, well, they just don't eat. They are all gun hoe about the food for about the first two bites, and then they don't want anything to do with what I'm feeding them.

I make my own baby food and I think it tastes pretty good. They won't eat anything but the fruit I make. Store bought food is the same. They love Cheerios and bread and crackers. You can't live off of that stuff alone. It's driving me crazy.

Tonight I gave them a bunch of tiny ham pieces, baked potato pieces, and some steamed cabbage. I don't know how much Professor got into him (because I put him in his high chair and let him have at it) but Pirate ate all of what Juice gave him. He packed it in.

Maybe are they ready to feed themselves? Maybe they are tired of squash and peas and apples? I just don't know. Meal time is very stressful for me. I make Juice do it if he is at home. Since Pirate won't fit into his high chair with the cast, meal time is a two person job.

Juice and I have talked about different ways to get the kids to actually eat more. Maybe they are ready for some sort of spice in their meals. Maybe I need to make up some recipes like the ones at wholesomebabyfood.com.

Either way, I guess baby food is going to change at our house. Any suggestions?

Safire

PS- #26 on my list about myself (which actually turned out to be #25 because I forgot #22!) is true. Just in case you want to know.

5 comments:

  1. I wish I had a great suggestion. My only experience with that is that my kids did a lot better when they could feed themselves finger food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:37 AM

    I don't have any advice because I haven't been there yet but I have anecdotes from my mom and SIL. My pediatrician when I was a baby told my mom not to give me fruit until I'd been introduced to all of the veggies first because as soon as kids taste fruit often they don't want veggies EVER AGAIN until they are 24 or something because why eat bitter stuff when there is sweet to be had? :) From my SIL I've heard that my nephew liked veggies until she started giving him table food and finger food and carbs and now he is only interested in fruit, starch and candy. So, I don't know if it's any comfort to you, but I think the boys are doing exactly what they are supposed to do at this age: drive you nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning Safire! Dropping in from SITS roll call (you were above me.)

    I always made my own baby food too. My daughter ALWAYS ate well. With my sons I had to make sure that they had their solids before I gave them their milk (or formula) otherwise they would just fill up on the fluids and not eat the solids. Maybe you could put some foods they could feed themselves on their trays and try to feed bites in between as well? Hang in there! Remember that this is a stage and keep keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I had some advice, my little love is almost 5 and such a picky eater. But you have peeked my curiousity on homemade baby food. I considered it a little when I my little love was at that point, but that was all. Did you get ideas from a book or do you just grind up what you are having for dinner for them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:23 PM

    I tell my friends my daughter-in-law is nursing twin boys and doing a super job! Remember, nothing is as nutritious and easily digested as mother's milk. When introducing solids, the babies are learning about new textures as well as flavors. Small amounts are acceptable; the milk provides the nutrition. I was impressed with the web site you mentioned. Ripe avocado or baked yam look like good foods because they are easily mashed with a fork. Babies prefer bland food. Seasonings are not necessary. Sugar is to be avoided because it ruins the appetite. (Sugar gets into the blood fast, insulin rises, then more sugar is demanded usually without supplying any nutritious building blocks.) Babies not introduced to sugar usually enjoy a bigger variety of foods. The LaLeche League (The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding) has suggestions on introducing solids.--from a mother-in-law who raised five children who love to eat and one picky eater.

    ReplyDelete

I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble. --Helen Keller