Looking for Me?

Wondering where I am? I've moved! Check out the new blog Waterfalling Up for more updates from our family!

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Poor Poor Pirate

Everyone,

Just a quick note.  We've had an awful day. 

Yesterday, I was carrying both the boys downstairs after their naps and some play time up stairs.  I slipped and fell hard on my butt, going down about 3 or 4 steps before I managed to stop myself.  Butterfly was in front of me.  I had two main concerns.  1- Do not fall on Butterfly.  2- Do not let Professor's head hit the railing.  Both of those objectives I met.

Both boys screamed.  I cried a little bit because it really hurt.  Professor was chatting and ready for play within minutes.  Pirate was not.  He just sat with me.  He cried every time I moved him.  I paged Juice and made him come home from his big important meeting because something was obviously wrong. 

By the time Juice got home, I had put both boys to bed.  They were just so tired and Pirate kept rubbing his eyes and moaning.  So they slept, I went out to my church activity, and came home.  The boys ate and went right back to sleep and slept through the night. 

This morning, I woke up to a screaming Pirate who wasn't moving.  Uh oh.  Juice ran him over to another church function where one of our doctors in our ward was.  His best guess was that he dislocated his hip when I fell with him.  We called our peditrician and got an emergency visit with them. 

The doctor poked and proded his leg for a second, listened to him scream when he moved his leg, and sent us to the emergency room.  (Butterfly went to bff Vinny's house for the day.  Professor came with us because the kid has to eat and won't take a bottle.)

8 hours and 3 x-rays later, we came home with about 4 pounds of plaster.  Pirates leg is broken.  The doctor said this was the best kind of break...more of a crack than an actual seperation of bone.  But his cast...

The cast goes from his mid chest to his ankle.  There were 4 of us putting it on him.  Juice lifted him up, the doctor wrapped, the nurse held things in place, and I was in charge of keeping his hands and mind occupied.  We were all sweating by the time we were done.  And poor Pirate just layed there at the end sucking his thumb and breathing fast. 

We barely got him in his car seat to take him home.  I can barely hold him to nurse him.  I am overwhelmed with the idea that this will have to be on for an entire month.

Safire

20 comments:

  1. I am sitting here with my jaw on the floor! Poor Pirate, poor you, poor Juice, that is so awful! I hope this month goes by quickly and that everything heals properly. You'll be in our prayers. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohh, poor poor Pirate indeed! And poor poor Mommy too! I hate stairs for that very reason. I hope he has a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwwwwww! I'm sorry. /sigh

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness!!! Poor Pirate! Poor you! I can't believe that he has to have a cast that large! That's insane. I hope this month goes by smoothly and that he isn't bothered with the cast. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. I wish I was there to help!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh No!! That's horrible! Poor Pirate! I think once my parents leave, I need to come spend some time with you. K can come over this Tuesday, too...finally!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:17 AM

    Oh that is terrible! I am so sorry. How difficult for all of you. I hope the month flies by for you and isn't as hard as you think. And I don't know if this will make you feel better or not, but someday Pirate will be proud of the fact that he had a cool cast when he was a baby...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, no. I was catching up on all your posts and read about your two great days (peek-a-boo and saving gas) and then I get to this one!

    You must have been so scared. I'm so sorry! I hope that he heals quickly and that things start to calm down for you all, too. I want to give that little boy big hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor Pirate, and poor mommy. It sounds very scary! I hope he's not to uncomfortable in the cast.

    I am thinking about you all.

    Kim xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no! Poor little guy. I hope it heals quickly and you get the help and comfort you need.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor thing -- I can't even think of what that might be like. I fell so many times with Leïla, I have no clue how I didn't break something.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When Juice got up in sacrament this morning to bear his testimony I couldn't believe what I was hearing!! I am SO SORRY!! When he said you fell on Friday I couldn't stop wondering- WHEN?? I was there in the morning, and then I saw you in the evening!! Why didn't you say anything? I guess you didn't think it was that big of deal! Oh my goodness, this was probably so scary for you guys. How long does he have to wear the cast?? Poor little guy! Well, call me if you need ANYTHING!!! Seriously! Oh, and can Pirate be buckled into his car seat with that cast on??

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry! I am glad that you and the other kids weren't hurt. I hope the month flies by and he heals well. We'll be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ouch!
    So sorry to hear this.
    I have you entered in my Giveaway-good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh! Poor baby! Poor poor baby! That's heartbreaking. It's amazing you were able to catch all of them like that! Our thoughts are with you; hope Pirate recovers in a flash. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help! What is Pirate's favorite pick-me-up? (Besides Mom :) ?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous7:02 PM

    Poor Pirate and poor you! Hasn't winter handed you guys enough trouble lately??? I'll close my eyes and wish really hard for you that spring in all its GLORY will arrive faster than you could have thought. Hopefully spring will bring not just warmer weather but healthy children and lots of time outside!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh. my goodness!!!
    Big, big hugs to the both of you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so, so sorry for you all! I pray he heals quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Poor little guy, and poor mama! Hope he heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. okay so im behind on blogs but i HEARD! Im SO SORRY!!! I hope he heals FAST!!! Poor YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Shoot, that stinks. I hope time goes by fast for you and he's better soon.

    ReplyDelete

I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble. --Helen Keller