Looking for Me?

Wondering where I am? I've moved! Check out the new blog Waterfalling Up for more updates from our family!

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Girly Music

Everyone,

Saturday night I had the most amazing experience with my friend Lolli. She was given tickets to a concert in Baltimore. And since her in home babysitter was out at a party, she couldn't take her husband to the concert. So she invited me! I had no idea what kind of music we were going to listen to. But anyone who knows me well knows I'm up for an adventure. So off to Baltimore we go!

Lolli was able to pick up the tickets despite having lost her wallet (see her blog...she dropped it in the parking lot at my house and found it after...whew!) and we were usurer to our seats. In the Grand Suite. First row center of the balcony. I don't think I've ever sat in such good seats before. Oh, and because we were in the special box, we got to use the special lounge and bathroom. Talk about a fun and special girls night out.

Lolli and I talked a little about who we were seeing. I had never heard of them before. They are called Celtic Women. They are AMAZING. From the first song I was amazed at the quality of their voices. Each song made me like them more and more. By the end of the concert, I'm a huge fan. Let me show you why:



Now that video is just an overview of each of the women in the group. I was shocked at the violinist. How does she do that?! Turns out Mairead has been the solo violinist to several big singers like Sting. She also plays the violin in the Tinker Bell Movies which Butterfly LOVES. What a treat to see her live! (As an aside, there was a group of men in matching jackets at the concert. They lept up and gave her a standing ovation every single song she played. It was too funny at first. But then I thought it was sweet. She really does deserve a devoted fan club.)

There were 2 songs that stand out to me from Saturday night. Enya sings a song called "Orinoco Flow." I happened to be listening to that song when Juice asked me on our first date. Memories! They did a beautiful job of singing it on Saturday. I was taken back to being just barely 16 and going on my very first date. The other one that stuck out at me was called "Isle of Hope, Isle of Tears." I just kept thinking of my Mom and all the genealogy she does. How this puts history into real life! Here Mom, this one is for you! (Pooh...can't embed it in my blog. Have another really great one instead...but be sure to listen to that link!)



The women are amazing. But you know what else I found amazing? The musicians they play with. Each one of these people could play at least 4 instruments. I just sat and watched them amazed. I also loved the 2 big stands of percussion. One of the percussionist had a big bucket full of different drum sticks and he would fling them when he was done with them. So fun to watch!

Lolli loaned me her cd of them that night and I've been listening to it ever since. Butterfly keeps asking me why we're listening to the "girly music" and the "loud noises." I couldn't figure out what the loud noises were until she pointed out this in a song.



Ack, my daughter has Scottish blood and doesn't like the bagpipes?! Better fix that one! I loved hearing them. I took this video after the concert. He was playing everyone home. Loved it!

Is it sad that I liked them that much that I'm considering coming to Utah this summer a week early so I can catch their show there? Yes, they were THAT good!

Safire

PS- If you'd like to have a CD of your own, Lolli is giving away one on her blog! If you win, I expect to borrow it from you for awhile though!

4 comments:

  1. They made two new fans for life that night. It really was amazing. Thanks again for going with me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet my daughter would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a friend from my old neighborhood who was going to that last night. I've heard that group before and they are amazing. Every now and then they play their concerts on PBS. Glad you had such a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:46 AM

    I love them. I've watched their concerts on PBS. Come a week early and lets have all the girls get tickets and have a great night out and leave the men home with the kids!!

    Aunt Lisa

    ReplyDelete

I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble. --Helen Keller