Looking for Me?

Wondering where I am? I've moved! Check out the new blog Waterfalling Up for more updates from our family!

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Christmas and Waterfalls

Everyone,

Once a month, Juice and I try to get out to one of the several things to do in the DC area. We have barely touched the surface of what all we could do and we've been here 3 years. So far, our favorites are Mt. Vernon, Great Falls National Park, and the National Mall. Oh, and we've been to the Air and Space Museum 3 times, and no other Smithsonian. Can you tell I live with a aerospace engineer? Oh, the Zoo is great, the International Spy Museum is good but expensive, and the National Aquarium in Baltimore is fantastic but you can't take a stroller in with you. If you're coming to visit the DC area, seriously ask me what's good and what's not. I've seen a lot of it.

Anyway, today was our day to get out and see something. And since it's fall, we decided to go out and enjoy the leaves. The first year we lived here we drove to Shenandoah. Beautiful, but a little far away. We have been back there a few times and do have the car tour CD. Today, we decided to go back to the place we went last year: Great Falls National Park. It's right on the C&O Canal. They've turned the old mule paths that they used to pull the boats up the canal into walking paths. We've been here at least 5 times, and each time it is beautiful. Today we went a different way than we normally go. It was stunning! The Potomac River was raging above these huge granite monoliths. The red, brown, and rust colored leaves lined the edges. It was peaceful. I would post a picture but they are still on the camera. Maybe tomorrow.

Butterfly was a little scared of the leaves, but soon got into the fun after I let Juice bury me with them. (Yes, there are THAT many). Soot even got into it and was digging them up, throwing leaf bits everywhere. A good outing for us.

After Great Falls, we decided to go Christmas shopping. I love Christmas. And I think I am done buying most of it. My goal was to have it done before Thanksgiving this year. I think I've made that. We are getting Butterfly the little people castle, and some blocks, a baby doll and stroller, and some bath toys. She is in desperate need of some new toys. Some older toys. All that we have is baby toys and I think she's ready for little kid toys.

Is it sad that I am sad that I'm almost done Christmas shopping? As much as I want to avoid the crowds in the stores at Christmas time, I love the stores at Christmas time. I love the music, the smells, everyone seeming so happy.

When I was younger, I worked for a bakery in the local mall. We made cinnamon rolls and sandwiches and drinks. I loved Christmas time in the mall because of the bustle. Time flew because you never had a moment. And when I would go on break, I would get a cinnamon roll, put extra frosting on it, find an empty table and just people watch. It was one of my favorite things to do.

My local mall here has a cinnamon roll place. Maybe I'll take Butterfly there and show this fun thing to her this year. After all, she does have to get her picture with Santa, right?

Safire

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:17 PM

    I am so looking forward to getting Piglet's picture taken with Santa. I don't want her to be afraid like I was as a kid. I hope she'll go along with the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Butterfly was great last year...I think she'll be a little more unruly this year. :)

    ReplyDelete

I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble. --Helen Keller